Cotopaxi, Ecuador (summer 2012)

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

watching the moon with mom

in the asylum
when the dark room grew close,
hallucinating and confined,
the legend of your ghost
out of the corner of my eye
like a vivid memory floating in air
revisiting a childhood
near my little town square,
came playing into my mind.
a ball bouncing against the far wall,
catching a cold,
letting it fall,
trying to pick it up again,
seemed uninterested in the evening news.
dressing for the circus like a clown
in amusement park shoes,
and passionately shopping for toys,
swimming near the bank of a secret river
with other naive girls and boys
watching the moon,
my paddle like arms suffer as i stroke,
preferring the water's current
to the familiar joke:
your faint smile and strange eyes
falling from the sky like luminous pride
light up my solitary cell
many years before i died.
had you loved me then, i might not have cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts.

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006
daughter is empowering herself