Cotopaxi, Ecuador (summer 2012)

Monday, March 1, 2021

wear my ring

i've tried everything
but she wouldn't wear my ring
on a ship far out to sea
at the beginning of my journey
when the clouds came in dangerously low
as though
she had somewhere else to go.
out on the freeway
she had something new to say
but I hadn't heard a thing she said;
her words kept swimming inside my head
while all the books i've ever read
didn't provide a clue
about what it was i was meant to do.
a road thru the desert proved dry and hard;
i cut the deck and played my card,
but the king of hearts didn't see the queen;
she shut the door to remain unseen.
i ran my hand across her face 
like an artist trying to find his place
on a canvas stretched across the room:
she swept it away with her witch's broom.
and still i waited to hear her sing,
but she wouldn't wear my ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts.

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006
daughter is empowering herself