Cotopaxi, Ecuador (summer 2012)

Monday, January 2, 2017

reaching the Red Sea

in Kashmir
a thoughtful Indian held a rock
while i slept on my sofa
playing with a Pakistani woman
in my dreams
it often seems
there is a 
dawn before the sun
and the sound ringing in my ear
is a car explosion
and the people
climb the steeple
for the view of Normandy Beach
while i adjust my tie with her help
and heat water for tea
before watching the Rose Bowl
on tv
her and me
finally reaching the Red Sea
after hours of travel from Mozambique
where we swam from the shore
looking like tourists
at midnight
it seemed right
to see musicians playing electrified violins
underneath a brilliant African sky
where warlords and underdogs
ate everything they could dig their teeth into
and they drank
while we sank
like hard noodles into their fragrant broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts.

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006
daughter is empowering herself