Cotopaxi, Ecuador (summer 2012)

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

in prayer

the first thing in the morning or was it late at night?
i opened a familiar door to my lost and found:
a red napkin with a woman's name fluttered to the ground
and the overhead light was dim.
i reached out for what i thought was a lollipop,
but instead grabbed a holiday magazine
inside of which was a black and white television, a TV tray,
and chubby checker all twisted up on a 60's dance floor.
at first, he looked like an old friend of mine.
i took a duffel bag, a two-person tent,
and dance lessons the very next day.
i wanted only a few more months to stay
in one place.
overnight i saw a face!
it looked like a little boy
and he ran into the thick woods
chasing a deer.
i could tell it was a doe
but what would happen soon i couldn't yet know.
the boy wore white sneakers and carried a map
which from my far distance seemed to be new.
thinking ahead,
i went to buy my ticket and the agent asked my name.
he also asked if i knew the magic word?
by his chair i saw a black cat on the floor who purred,
dreaming of fat mice and an oriental fish hat.
the rest of my dream was more of the same.
i opened a familiar door to my lost and found:
a red napkin with a woman's name fluttered to the ground
and the overhead light was dim.
wholeheartedly,
i paid a visit to my brother and his wife;
i ate on a brick patio and wore my pocket knife:
its' blade was folded in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts.

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006
daughter is empowering herself