Cotopaxi, Ecuador (summer 2012)

Saturday, December 6, 2014

small boy in white

Out on the boardwalk
the air was warm,
the sun was hot in a boiling mess
and I felt like a whistling teapot
swimming to the beach.
I was forced to confess
when you asked me to consider the future
that I could barely tread water,
But I digress
Sitting on a spot of wet sand from where i watched the tide:
It never tried to hide.
It went out first,
came back in stride.
In and out.
You were by my side
pointing to a speeding boat.
I heard what you had to say.
A repeat from yesterday.
I wanted to leave, to run, to play
I saw a wide moat
between us where the swirling waters swirl.
I had to step over it to get to the street
where some interesting people meet.
There I saw a small boy wearing clean clothes;
he mounted a bike which had training wheels attached.
I wondered what plan he had just hatched
as he coasted by on the sidewalk,
but he didn't talk.
When he came to the moat where the swirling waters meet
he didn't stop, either,
so i figured he knew how to swim.
And the air was warm
which might explain why he wasn't wearing any shoes,
but whatever he did, it was his to choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts.

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006
daughter is empowering herself