Cotopaxi, Ecuador (summer 2012)

Friday, April 1, 2011

Another week, another dollar

I'm tired.

I've been teaching inside the high school
the past 4 days.  The experience is not encouraging,
since so many of the students don't seem to get it.

Almost every ear is filled with a tiny speaker, as their
music is constantly playing.

Almost every hand holds a cell phone.

The focus is largely not on the material, and
most are unwilling to discuss
the historical issues;
rather, it's on the here and now, or
on the very short-term, like what's for lunch?

I stand and talk to my class.  I sit and chat with them and there
is laughter, and there are questions, which I answer.

But the near past of American history does not interest my class.

I'll try again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts.

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006
daughter is empowering herself