Cotopaxi, Ecuador (summer 2012)

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Gabrielle Giffords, Congresswoman

Inside the hand-built well there is a darkness
and a hollow noise can be heard when I tap
the near wall with my open palm, hello hello hello
muted and rebounding in fading spirals until I stop.

I haven't spoken with my riding buddy for several weeks
and since the outside weather is darn cold, it will probably
be several months until we begin riding routinely together.

The last time we rode, she got mad. Her temper is strong,
as strong as her physical body, maybe even stronger. Unfortunately,
she was angry at me. Oh yes, I found the temerity to chastise
her decision to ride across the street just as she was about to
crest a steep hillside, and I saw the truck speeding over the hill
and swerve abruptly to avoid the most-likely fatal collision.
So, when I pulled alongside her after that scary moment, I spoke
my true feelings about how that wasn't the smartest thing to do and
offered suggestions, like simply stopping and walking her bike when
she felt too tired to pedal further up the hill.

Yes, she flashed her heat, telling me her move was a calculated risk.

Fine, I said, but don't do it on my watch, baby.

There is a madness afoot.

There was a cold-blooded murderer standing in a Tucson
supermarket line, holding his Glock pistol with
an extended clip full of heartless bullets.

There is chaos.

America is in jeopardy of becoming a Pakistan, where
to speak one's mind freely about all subjects is to invite
those who profess an opposing view to kill, to embark on a spree of
violence and scare the liberal populace.

A young girl was shot and died. She was 9 years old
and loved ballet. She played second base on her little
league baseball team. I saw a picture of her face and
saw her nice smile, like a contented Mona Lisa, but now gone,
only memories remain. This is wrong, her death.

A sitting member of Congress was targeted for assassination.
She is in grave condition in a hospital with a gunshot wound
to her head. Her friends call her Gabby. If she survives this attack,
her recovery will take months or years. Pray for her.

In America, I fear there will be retribution. But, we can't have a country
where people of a certain persuasion demand
"No Retreat, Reload." Is this a sensible political slogan?

Now, will the Arizona incident become a special moment
in the history of the United States of America? Will the
rabid crusaders of the Right begin to temper their
vitriol? Will we come together for the benefit of our
mutual futures in a sane and responsible manner?

There is a madness afoot. Surely we can cure it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts.

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006
daughter is empowering herself