Cotopaxi, Ecuador (summer 2012)

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

175,000 vertical feet

There is a new tracking system available which lets a skier know how much vertical feet of skiing was accumulated, through the deep pockets of the Vail Resort system.

I've just finished 6 consecutive days at Breckenridge, Colorado. One day there was a 26 inch snowfall, followed by an 8 incher, a 7 incher, and a 10 incher.

I skied that powder in evergreen trees on the Windows trail, narrow and yet beautiful. I skied that powder on the steep bumps of Devil's Crotch, off Peak 9. I skied that powder from the Imperial Chair on Peak 8, at 12,900 feet, dropping into Whale's Tail and the Y Chutes, and continuing to the base of Peak 7. And I skied that powder on freshly groomed intermediate trails for the sheer exhilaration of the intense speed and carving finesse possible.

The snow was incredible, being light and forgiving and like a temptress, delicious and encouraging.

I heard unrestrained hoots and yippees and other shouts of delight from passing skiers, although I could not see their faces.

I used a snow blower to clear the driveway, several times in the morning and at night.

Also, I ate well, not just because I'm a good cook. And I always found myself in bed by 9pm, fatigued but excited to give my best on the slopes the next day.

Now, in my home on the east coast, I think of leaving for my next adventure. Care to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts.

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006
daughter is empowering herself