Cotopaxi, Ecuador (summer 2012)

Saturday, October 24, 2020

when the world is asleep

back down

in my home town

moving slowly through a crowd

being ignored but feeling proud

taking a deep breath

the way a river escapes it's banks

remembering my childhood

and always to give my thanks

like a flower in the park

dressed in nothing but light 

but heading for the dark

around the time i still believed in all the stuff

i was told makes a real man tough,

like how to be angry and how to bleed;

how to make peace with the hazards of greed;

like anything worth doing was worth doing at top speed:

touched in the head

by a creed that misled

all my steps in the face of a sun-soaked storm,

failed to enlighten and failed to inform.

so just sipping my beer

resting my rear

while i'm sitting here

listening to the murmur from a soft wind

lifting its' head to the quiet blue sky:

the world seems asleep and so do i.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts.

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006
daughter is empowering herself