Cotopaxi, Ecuador (summer 2012)

Monday, May 26, 2014

One sip for the yellow dress

Let me take a quick guess.
Who is that woman in the yellow dress?
She is sitting belly up to the bar;
Under her right eye is a petite scar!
A knife fight or a friendly cat?
I'll sit here and wonder about that.
Oh, another sip of whiskey.
Pretty soon there's nothing more that I can't see:
A buffalo and a blue bird
Whispered but the crowd never heard a word.
A black President and a powdered king
Opened their mouths and started to sing
An anthem, each trumpet shop-worn in the shade.
The music grew louder but nobody stayed.
On the road a BMW threw open its' door
Killed a young man inside a neighborhood store,
Gunning the engine wanting to kill more.
A hummingbird with a ruby-red throat
Sipping sugared water read a new note:
Please bartender won't you draw me a beer
One more for the road.  I can't stand it here.
Dust in the rain drops and chill in the air
Blood on the midway of a county fair.
My crazy uncle rode his wild horse;
He started out normal but soon went off course.
Here is my beer filled to the brim:
One sip for the yellow dress and one sip for him.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts.

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006
daughter is empowering herself