Cotopaxi, Ecuador (summer 2012)

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Death of a salesman

The death of a salesman
didn't come easily,
and it wasn't until i saw my mail
that i heard the thump
of his body being dropped to the floor.

I could have played A Day in the Life
and read the news today
a thousand times to fill the hole in my heart,

but still, the pain would have persisted.

Joan Didion cringed, watching me on my power chair
twist and shout, completely anxious.

You see, without the salesman, i am lost.

She was lost, too.

And being lost in our world full of sign posts
is not a good thing.

So now, no one even comes to visit without an invitation,

while we sit together smoking our cigarettes, blowing pathos
at each other.

She asks me what we should do between class
and i remind her it was pass or fail.

I heard her say she wanted to fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts.

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006

Jessica in Madrid, Spring 2006
daughter is empowering herself